Because the wives of the Robbinsdale Masons who belonged to Compass Lodge #265 decided they too, should have an organization, Robbinsdale Chapter #238, Order of the Eastern Star was started in 1921 with 78 charter members. Julia Randall was the first Worthy Matron and Dan Libby, Worthy Patron. The Masonic temple was just a gleam in the eyes of Compass Lodge members. Meetings were held over a garage on West Broadway. They were often interrupted by noisy car engines and deliberations had to be paused until silence prevailed.
Dreams came true when the Masonic Temple was built the following summer. The building was dedicated on September 20th, 1922. During the early days of the Great Depression the Mason’s faced losing their building. In 1933, plans were made for the Robbinsdale Chapter to assume ownership after learning that a night club was interested in it. The organization’s efforts to pay the mortgage with rummage sales, carnivals and card parties came up short. In 1937, Worthy Patron, Vern Harrington suggested the Masons put up a stand at the state fair. A lot was selected near the grand stand. The brothers of the “Star” built a kitchen. Job’s Daughters of Bethel #39 went to work cooking and serving food in the dining area and the boys of Robbinsdale DeMolay washed dishes. The venture was so successful that the Masons were able to pay off their loan. The chapter celebrated with a mortgage burning party on November 28th, 1947.