John P. Shumway purchased 45 acres of the Crystal Lake Township for $25 dollars a piece in 1856. He built a modest home near Twin Lake and managed to get most of the land under cultivation. In 1890 he donated a half acre for the construction of the First Congregational Church at what is now the northwest corner of Highway 81 and 42nd. Shumway was Township Treasurer for over twenty years. His wife taught sunday school and later became the president of First Congregational. Their twin granddaughters, Esther and Evelyn helped form the Robbinsdale Historical Society.