The blacksmith shop became a village fascination to young and old alike. It stood on the corner of West Broadway and Rockford Road. The shop was built by Haakon Christensen, a Norwegian emigrant arrived in Robbinsdale in 1888. The local people, particularly children, stood by the hour watching him ply his trade. He was actively engaged as a blacksmith for over fifty years. He shod horses, repaired farm implements and became the anchor at one end of the Robbinsdale’s downtown business district. Christensen was active in civic affairs. He died in 1945 at the age of 85.