During the World War of 1917 and 1918, Robbinsdale’s growth was at a standstill. As in other wars, Robbinsdale furnished a generous share of soldiers. The first contingent to leave the village in a truck bearing a huge banner “Robbinsdale to Berlin” consisted of Eddie Lacomb, William Schlundt, Julius Sessing, Dave Parkhill, John Nasett, and Nick Clasen.
On January 15 the Civic Club requested the council to pay $50 to help make up the deficit on the bandstand, which it did, provided the Civic Club turn the bandstand over to the Village.
On April 27th, funeral services for John P. Shumway were held at The Congregational Church. A pioneer and Civil War veteran, Shumway was the town treasurer for 20 years.The Robbins family “served with the colors,” for generations.
Despite the challenges of difficult marriages and running the family businesses, it was inevitable that Amy Robbins Ware and Edith Robbins Daniels, the daughters of Andrew B. Robbins would throw themselves into the war effort. Both women were in their 40’s at the time. April 6, 1917, (the day the United States declared war), Amy entered the American School of Telegraphy, studying Morse and Radio Telegraphy, remaining until July, 1917. She conducted the Radio Department, Women’s Naval Service Inc. Training School, teaching both day and night classes at Fort Snelling. Edith volunteered for the Red Cross and supervised the production of several thousand garments made from dozens of bolts of new materials donated for the purpose for all of which Edith either cut or directed the cutting and making. She kept scores of sewing machines supplied with material and volunteer workers. All these garments were sent parcel post direct to the scenes of need in France and Belgium.
This post is part of a series based on the book Robbinsdale Then and Now by Helen Blodgett.