Know Your Town!

1957 On May 7, the 43rd Annual Convention of the Tenth District Minnesota Federation of Women’s Clubs was held here at the Congregational Church. Mrs. Henry Hartig and Mrs. J. W. Bobleter were co-chairmen. Mrs. J. Clifford [Georgette] Boise, president of the Federation, presided. There was a scrapbook contest and the scrapbook of the Robbinsdale…

Continue reading →

A Brand New High School

1956 On Friday, January 6, the Robbinsdale Recreation and Fire Departments arranged a Christmas Tree Bonfire at Lee School. This was before burning was banned in the late 1960’s. The children brought Christmas trees from home and enjoyed the huge bonfire. On April 17, the Superintendent of School District 24, Edwin J. Cooper, spoke to…

Continue reading →

Robin Center

1955 Easy to Shop… Easy to Park… Robin Center Hits the Mark! This year, Robin Center, a large addition to shopping facilities, opened. The swamp had been considered “unbuildable” and had reverted to the state as tax forfeited land. Douglas Rees, along with two partners, bought this and a few other lots and hired an…

Continue reading →

Making Way for Red Owl

1954 The old Village Hall, built in 1888, on West Broadway was torn down to make room for the parking lot which was needed if the Red Owl store was to be established. Robbinsdale needed a large grocery store. The municipal offices had been moved into temporary quarters in the fire and police station the…

Continue reading →

Crowded Schools

1953 In March, more than 200 Robbinsdale residents met at the Fire and Police Station Auditorium to form the Robbinsdale Taxpayers Association after the valuations on their homes had jumped 29% to 35%. Thomas Christensen, 4228 Halifax, presided. The Association met for a few years to study taxes and to find out the effects of…

Continue reading →