The Robbinsdale Airport opened in 1920, but civilian flying was halted during World War II. In 1942 the Robbinsdale Airport’s 23 planes were organized as part of the Civilian Air Patrol. Most of the planes in the Robbinsdale squadron were two seater “cubs”. The air patrol flyers were all volunteers. they provided their own planes, services, gas and oil. In the air, patrol pilots practiced, scouting and hedge-hoping under the command of Captain Harry S. Holcomb. In1945 the Minnesota Department of Aeronautics refused to reissue a license due to the proximity of residential housing and the facility was closed. The airport’s grass runway stretched from Fairfax Avenue to 44th Avenue North. The field and hangers were just east of West Broadway.