Elim Lutheran Church was founded by 26 charter members in 1922. The first services and Sunday School classes were held in the Robbinsdale Village Hall. In 1924 the congregation broke ground for a church on one of two lots they purchased at 40th and West Broadway. The property was sold with the stipulation that the church would always stand on this corner. The original structure was expanded in 1951 and enlarged in 1960. Elim had a membership of over 5,000 by the 1970’s. These days Elim shares the church with a Laotian immigrant church, a Pentecostal African church and a non-denominational African church. In 2005 a bronze plaque was installed by the Robbinsdale Historical Society near the main entrance of Elim. The congregation celebrated a 90 year anniversary in 2012.