In 1942 a small group of Robbinsdale men went north with he US Army to began construction of the Alaska-Canada Highway. Work crews nicknamed the supply route, “oil can highway” after the discarded fuel drums and oil cans that marked the road’s progress. After the highway was completed, Jim DuPuy and Art Bolier (pictured above) came back to Robbinsdale and purchased the “Truffy” DeMars Grocery and opened the infamous ALCAN Club. The building was torn down in the late 1950’s. The empty lot near the corner of 36th ad West Broadway was a used as a mini golf course until 1964 when Guaranty Bank opened on the corner.