Growing the Library

1960 Census: 16,381 (a 45% increase since 1950) The decade of the sixties included a new bank, filtration plants, the revival of Crystal Lake, the formation of the Housing Authority and another school because of the continuing “baby boom.” The Robbinsdale Library received a $25,000 grant for a remodeling and expansion program which doubled the…

Continue reading →

Lakeview Terrace Park

1959 In November, voters approved a bond issue for development of a park at the south end of Crystal Lake which was mostly marsh. It took two years of hauling in fill before development could begin. When the park was somewhat completed a naming contest was held with a bicycle as the prize. It was…

Continue reading →

New Churches

1958 The decade of the “fifties” became famous for the building of new churches. In addition to those previously mentioned, three more must be included. On May 4, Faith Lilac Way Lutheran Church dedicated its new building at Rockford Road and Welcome Avenue. Early services in the 1940’s had been held in the Masonic Temple.¬†On…

Continue reading →

Know Your Town!

1957 On May 7, the 43rd Annual Convention of the Tenth District Minnesota Federation of Women’s Clubs was held here at the Congregational Church. Mrs. Henry Hartig and Mrs. J. W. Bobleter were co-chairmen. Mrs. J. Clifford [Georgette] Boise, president of the Federation, presided. There was a scrapbook contest and the scrapbook of the Robbinsdale…

Continue reading →

A Brand New High School

1956 On Friday, January 6, the Robbinsdale Recreation and Fire Departments arranged a Christmas Tree Bonfire at Lee School. This was before burning was banned in the late 1960’s. The children brought Christmas trees from home and enjoyed the huge bonfire. On April 17, the Superintendent of School District 24, Edwin J. Cooper, spoke to…

Continue reading →